Friday 8 July 2011

Announcing ClixFix

Please note, this service, like all other PVP services, is no longer available.

Here's a new venture from us here at Pirate Viking Painting, recently I came into possession of a job lot of HeroClix figures. Now I had previously completely ignored the various 'Clix ranges as I had always been put off by the pre-painted aspect. As I looked at the figures I realised that under that daubed on paint was a series of nice miniatures horribly let down by its presentation. Thus the idea for ClixFix was born.


The pair of figures above are both Beast from the X-Men, in case it isn't clear, the one on the left is the HeroClix. The one on the right is the one that has been through the ClixFix process and repainted by me. Removing the paintwork from the HeroClix figures is something of a trial and I won't bore you with the particulars but it essentially boils down to labourious effort and some nasty chemicals (I own substantial protective gear now!). Strip with careful layers of acetone and cotton buds (Q-tips). Once stripped down the detail that the sculptor has put in becomes evident.


Now because I don't play the Clix games I decided to rebase my Beast on a Black Cat urban display base. Should clients require it I can easily re-attach it to the original base.


The pose is wonderfully dramatic and the musculature is brilliant. He really captures a sense of motion and power.


Changing small details (like freehanding in the eyes within the glasses) give the model a huge amount of additional character and brings it much closer to the standards we expect these days. I will certainly be painting more of these as I've wanted some super heroes for a while (always fun for skirmish gaming!). If you have 'Clix figures and you want them ClixFix'ed too then click on the link below to check out the prices and services available:


Until next time...

TTFN

5 comments:

  1. Good idea and certainly worth doing if anyone owns clix figures. I stopped buying them after the first pack when i realised they looked like they had been "hand painted" by an armless, blind chimp with a nerves problem and a fondness for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tell me about it, I diplomatically chose Beast to showcase ClixFix as the Heroclix paint scheme was not the worst I had found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a neat idea, and I had considered doing the same at some point (before commission work destroyed my mortal soul.) Your paint job looks nice too!

    I have done a couple pre-painted plastic re-paints and there can be some neat sculpts underneath the horrible death-mask paint jobs.

    Check her out! http://www.coolminiornot.com/174987

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious as to how you managed to strip the paint. I've tried a few times in the past to de-gunk some of my various WK minis and have had some pretty spectacular failures, either the paint didn't come off at all or the plastic did weird things.

    I've got a Juggernaught that is screaming for a re-paint right now and I need to strip him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the juggernaught use Fairy Power Spray. See the article I did on the subject at http://piratevikingpainting.blogspot.com/2011/04/workbench-renovating-old-miniatures.html

    With regards to the heroclix I'll keep the exact method to myself as it is neither easy nor terribly pleasant (and part of my business!)

    ReplyDelete