Tuesday 3 September 2013

A quick musing

Hi folks, bit of a break from the norm today. So today, there I was, minding my own business painting Corsair Hornets when this happened:


Hooo doggy, you better believe that the toys got thrown all of the way out of the pram. See, these models have been absolutely refusing to paint. Once I'd calmed down I got to thinking: How come some models seem to paint themselves, the colours flowing on, every highlight clearly where it should be? And then some seem to actively fight you putting paint on in the first place. Here it was a tiny section where the mold release agent seems chemically bonded to the damned resin (I'll probably have to sand the section and redo) but there have been others:

there seems to be an eldar theme to my tribulations, probably a coincidence

The Harlequins - you may remember - were the very devil to paint. I still can't explain why. They just fought every damn brushstroke. With the Hornets it was even the hexes - which had gone on fine on the Warp Hunters - that were cramping my wrist something fierce! They just don't want to be painted. But I will break their spirit, oh yes I will. [sounding a little crazy there Jeff, dial it back]

So, I ask you this, which models have fought you? Which are you delighted to have finished, to have in your army, but were the very devil to paint. Who resisted every step. Answers in the comments please! It'll be interesting to see if there are any commonalities and patterns or whether all of us Ahabs have our personal whales!

TTFN

3 comments:

  1. The metal lemartes. Had to strip and redo it 3 times before it finally stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The satan spawned material that is laughingly refered to as "Finecast". It either repels paint like it was designed to do so, or takes a coating and then flexes so that it shucks the paintjob off like an old snake skin.

    ReplyDelete