Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Very Model of a Modern Empire Captain

Greetings one and all, in the fairly lengthy drying times for the Eisenkern commission I am working on I was able to knock out a quick captain for my Averlanders. Frankly it is time you were introduced:


This is the amazing, and slightly over formal, Captain Harald von Agbeiten of the glorious Averland Northern Relief Forces (read, invading force trying to take over the almost knackered Ostland). The model originally was the commander of the first iteration of the Empire Steam Tank. I long ago sold the teeny tiny tank but kept the incredible commander figure... for years. Well, he's been painted now!


With painting Averlanders being a nicely formulaic process regardless of rank - seriously, I just go a little neater on the highlighting for the characters - he was bashed out good and fast. I did change up the colour on the sash a little, making it a more saturated, higher contrast fabric trying to be more silk-ish. Haven't quite got the effect but it does look more yellowey than the military ochre on the clothing.


Harald is armed with a repeater pistol, the model was originally an engineer don't forget, which technically can't be used by a captain. There were a couple of ways around this, one, I could just ignore the rules. Done it before, will 100% do it again I am sure. But not this time, this time I decided to make him an idiot who had bought a multi-barrelled pistol masquerading as a repeater pistol but in fact just letting off all four small calibre bullets in one volley. Achieving the same effect that a single pistol would achieve but at four times the cost. Like I say, idiot. With a veneer of snob.


Other than his name, I haven't got Harald's backstory nailed down (it'll be on the Beard Bunker anyway). He will certainly be an old fashioned soldier out of retirement with a keeping up with the Jones' attitude and a stuffy manner leading to him bringing a damn box into battle from which to deliver inspirational speeches to the men. It's what they like after all.

That's all for today, some Eisenkern troops later in the week (more of these lads), until then

TTFN

9 comments:

  1. I do like the backgrounds your adding to your figure photos, nice to seem the clean image as well though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started with the Beard Bunker's welcome to Hochland campaign series (http://beardbunker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/campaign-week-part-two.html), I like 'em too :)

      Especially for characters having a consistent "look" across the backdrops for them means I can do a nice characterful roundup when I start writing backstory. Thus I've now got a folder just titled "boom, headshot" increasingly full of "glamour" shots of little mans.

      Delete
  2. I bet he doesn't really need a monocle and using that just gives him recurring conjunctivitis which sours his mood and spoils his aim on a regular basis...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh absolutely, but you see there was a terribly fine officer who always wore one and made him seem so dashing...

      Delete
  3. A fantastically characterful model, painted to an exceptional standard! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, thanks fella, I like him a lot

      Delete
  4. I envy your ability to paint that consistent a yellow. He looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Vallejo Tan Yellow. Give it a go, covers not quite as well as the old foundation yellow but damn close. After that it's mostly washes!

      Delete
  5. Great old model and a fine paint job. They don't make em like this anymore!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete